Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Upon reflection, yesterday wasn't so bad a day. I mean during the quiz in Phil. Lit., I wasn't the only person who scored low. Of course since the teacher made us check our own quiz papers, I think I saw my seatmate right some answers as we were checking it. It's nice to know I still have some ethics that I'd rather flunk but remain honest rather than pass but deceive the teacher (and myself).

Special thanks to Carlos who loaned me his Sandman comics!!! Saw his driver's license and he looks like one of the Abu Sayaf in that pic. Then again, so does my other friend, Richie (or maybe even Russel [Jobert's "Rifts" 'friend'])...

Elbert took Gabs and me to the Marikina riverfront. It's the first time I've been there. I don't think I have to mention we walked there. But despite walking there, I doubt if I can get there on my own because I am so terrible at navigating (hence my lack of enthusiasm to drive since all the places I know how to navigate, I can easily reach by walking, and everyone knows when you get lost, it's easier to get back on tracking on foot rather than on wheels). As usual, Elbert is the master of the black market, knowing where to go to obtain pirated material.

And since I talk about Elbert often enough (*blech*), making a blog entitled "Stalking Elbert" might be in order. I see him too often. And he doesn't provide me with a carpool at that. =P

Was hurrying to get to Megamall to meet Mich but the traffic lights suddenly went berserk so what usually takes a thirty minute jeep ride to Cubao turned to one hour. I was rushing to meet Mich only to find her not at the meeting place but watching a movie. I was supposed to meet her at 5:15 and she texts me when I'm finally there that she's free at 6 pm. Wow. Talk about informing someone that you'll be late. That and she was rude to me, but that's normal for Mich (at least towards me).

Looks like the Podium has some new shops. I'm surprised there's no Powerbooks there, but there's a "National Bookstore Bestsellers" outlet. The last word probably included to distinguish it from the regular National Bookstores, which cater to the masses. And while in appearance, it might seem like another Powerbooks, they do sell school supplies, hence retaining the National Bookstore name.

Also liked the Astrovision (which also has a different name, although it retained the Astro word). It's huge! It has a large selection (still no Princess Bride though), and they also have other stuff like music CDs, cellphones, electronics, etc.

Elbert did talk about me "purging my social circle" from time to time. I immediately replied that there's two things that usually happen: either they leave me emotionally (we're not friends anymore), or they leave me physically (I'm going to the US!). Of course upon looking back, even that reason is not right. In high school, I had no social life at all (not for lack of trying), so there's really nothing to purge there.

My first year was spent sitting at the library steps, hanging out with Franz's (Fort's brother) barkada of Mahalla, Jeremy, TonTon, some Comm students (Gailee, Lucky, and an ICAn whose name I can't remember right now), two European Studies students (Barren and Blinky), and a couple of Franz's other friends. But that's more of "being there" rather than being invited. There was also my crush, whom I freaked out (when a girl sees a lonely boy and asks him to stay with her during his free time, she doesn't really mean it) and more or less didn't understand (although we did get along quite well in the first four weeks or so). In other words, I didn't have a social circle in first year, although I did make a lot of friends (which mean "hi's" and "hello's" but no real commitment to each other).

Second year there was the RPG gaming group I was in which consists of Jobert, Franco, Carlos, Cyril, Lloyd, PJ, Sacha, Yaiba (he has a real name, can't remember it at the moment though), Kendra, Franchu, and Elvin. It's only the first four I became close with, especially the Jobert and Franco. Of course now, they migrated to the US... And the RPG group also had its ups and downs. I mean there was Marcelle (tolerate, yes, and as I said before, if it weren't for two quirks, would probably be quite an okay guy), Rob (jerk! jerk! jerk!), Antonio/Timmy (who does nothing except talk about military matters and Gundams and fan-service, but otherwise, best describes the term "eager beaver"), and Angelo (I have no job and have nothing better to do than make everyone else's life miserable). Also high point of the second year was when CCHQ opened. Did cling to Lea (although not as obsessive as I was in previous years) during the summer but well, she got mad at me (don't worry, we're friends now, although we don't exactly speak to each other).

This is the third year of my life unfolding to me. For the strangest reason (which meant I didn't see it coming), I'm stuck with Elbert. And not to sound too harsh but he has an uncurable disease (then again, Philippines is the world's 2nd most polluted country so migrating to anywhere else except Mexico, his health can't help but improve). And quite frankly, getting sick and tired of me (don't worry, I don't cling to him). There's the CCHQ people, but it's a mixture of hesitancy, distance, distrust, and sometimes, even hate. And since I don't exactly have a close-knit group, my life is easily spontaneous since I don't have engagements or other priorities. It's to the point that when I go to malls on school holidays, my batchmates see me, alone and by myself, and they take pity on me and ask me to join them.

Oh yeah, there's also Pinoy Otaku, but like the CCHQ people, some outright hate me, some fear me (honestly, I never thought anyone would take me as a "stalker" seriously, because not-so-obviously, I use my skills for the good of people and not the stereotypical stalker, duh!), some distrust me, most just tolerate me, a few accept me, and even fewer actually like me.

Moving on to something "lighter" (but nonetheless controversial) is the quirk for the day.

People like to bash other people's hobby's, especially when they seem childish, even though some of their hobbies seem childish to other people. First it was Gundams (well, not really), then Tamiya mini-4WD (whom some Gundam fans would bash), then Beyblade (whom the former two would bash), and lately, Crush Gear Turbo (whom the previous three would bash). And this is talking about a hobby stemming from the same country and somehow related to each other. How much more from other hobbyists (e.g. The RPG purists, the anime/manga collector, the Pinoy games [trumpo, holen, patentero, etc.] enthusiast). I mean I bash all of these games, but only jokingly and I don't demean the hobby in itself (or think it's absoltuely useless). I see it's silliness, even when I'm playing with them (I used to collect Gundam model kits, for example), but I don't really discourage other people from developing a similar hobby. Yes, this is a controversial topic. I will get flamed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home