Sunday, March 09, 2003

My hope for getting eight hours of sleep perished when Elbert called me late in the morning.

The other day, Elbert was thinking of the flattery of being stalked by someone. I don't find it flattering. I mean stalking is a self-act, a masturbation of sorts. I mean when you stalk, you don't really resolve anything. You keep your distance from the person you're stalking, and you really don't introduce yourself. It's anti-social. This might be strange coming from a self-professed stalker but I use the term stalker in a different sense. The only "stalking" I actually do is appearing out of nowhere, sometimes covering the person's eyes and asking them to guess who it is. Other than that, any other thing that coinsides with an actual stalker is coincidental. But no... I get real stalkers, people who annoy you to death that makes you unproductive. They don't even tell you who they are (unlike me, who's as open as a book, hence this blog which details a lot of personal info which some would consider taboo).

But Elbert thought it was probably an enjoyable experience since at least someone pays attention to you, and my current stalker is cute. Suffice to say, Elbert got his wish, And none of it was my doing.

SMART cellphone numbers begin with either 0918, 0919, and 0920. Elbert's friend changed numbers and he wasn't sure which SMART number it began with so he sent a text message to all of them. Serendipity was at work because the owner of the 0920 number was my stalker. And since it's a running joke that me and Elbert are a yaoi couple, well, there's always the saying that the best way to a person's heart is through their friends. So for the past few hours, Elbert felt what I was feeling, getting text messages every five minutes or so (she couldn't make miss calls since Elbert's number is the type that's restricted to only text messages).

Of course Elbert's indulging her, playing the sympathetic guy but well, I'm blunt to people, telling them the truth. I mean it would be easy for me to take advantage of the stalker, since she is cute and quite clingy (and insecure). But no, and at the expense of looking like the bad guy, I tell her straight out: insecurity and "clinginess" isn't friendship, much less love, since it's being preoccupied with yourself rather than the other person. As much as it is a crime for a parent to be overprotective, you don't let the other person grow and mature but keeping them for your own benefit, for your own dependence on them. And that, my friend, is wrong (and even not reading Scott Peck's article on love for Theo 131, I should know).

And yes, I was once clingy, but not to the extent that I send text messages to people every five minutes or so. The most I did was sending text messages to people greeting them good morning and good night every day. And that was when free text was abundant. I'm now reduced to doing that once a week. =P

One thing my stalker brought up is the fact that I seem to be clingy to people via my gift-giving. At the risk of sounding defensive, well, if I actually was clingy, I'd be giving people gifts and treating them out every day. =) But no, despite my generosity, that isn't how I act. I give when the opportunity arises and well, people like me for who I am, not for the gifts I give. And people who think I'm "buying people" should think about themselves. It's only their mentality that makes them say that. Even the most innocent and well-meant acts might seem evil or malicious to the paranoid and cynical person. "They think that's your reason for doing it because that's their own reason for doing such a thing."

And as much as I might want friends, if it's just someone who's clingy and dependent on me, I'd rather not have it, since that's not what you call a friendship. Friendship (and love, for that matter), is something among equals. I mean if you "need" a person, then it's not genuine love since you're seeking something in return for it and it's not a choice based on freedom. When you're equals, you don't need the other person. You have freedom, and that's where genuine love can act. If you choose to befriend someone, it's not because you "need" him or her but because you chose to, out of sincerity.

I guess one of the perks about being my friend is that you're life won't be boring. And I guess that's why I call myself a stalker, since I want to fill your life with "surprises". But people who know me know that I do so without malice. Mischief, perhaps, but never malice. And I'm always honest, so if I pull a prank, I'll admit it. And well, this blog is about transparency, although it is written in my favor, of course. ^^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home