Wednesday, March 19, 2003

War Closer to Home

Well, while I was typing my feature article late in the evening last night, I could hear my parents and siblings duking it out with screams and sermons (in Chi-Tag-Lish). I was eventually dragged into it and pointed out to my parents that they equate love too much with materialistic goods (well, at least now you know why I like to treat people out) and that they're oblivious to everyone else's needs. Suffice to say, things ended peacefully.

Thou Shall Not Tell a Girl She is Insecure

I'm blunt to the point of rudeness. And well, people have been telling me lately that in criticizing a girl, I should never tell her she is insecure. It's rude to do so. Why? I mean I seldom use the word (well, if I do use it a lot, I usually use it appropriately) and when I do so, I really mean it. It's not an arbritrary term I take for granted. Sure, tact isn't my greatest asset, but if I really feel I should say it, then you should probably listen.

So Long B

Just got my philo quizzes today and well, three of them are zeroes. As in 000. At least I'm not failing. A quick calculation reveals though that the highest grade I can acheive is a C+/B while if I flunk the finals, I'll get a grade of D. It's a steep fall from my B+ last sem but those are the surprises of life.

Anime - a plural noun or a singular noun?

In the seven or so hours it took me to write the ten page feature article I'm supposed to submit on Saturday, I've discovered a better usage for the word anime. I mean three years ago, I was churning off anime-related articles in an attempt to fend off the braindrain I experienced from editing news articles for school. Since at the time, anime wasn't an english word yet, I wasn't using it correctly.

In referring to several anime, I used to say "animes", which you shouldn't since foreign words aren't subject to the language's forms. I'd usually compensate by using "anime shows" but lately, I found that too clunky and sometimes even redundant. The word anime can stand in itself, a noun that is both singular and plural.

Right now, I'm still revising the draft, and I plan to post it soon. And unlike my previous works, this one is addressing the masses rather than the avid fan (no jargon-dictionary needed). And I've realized avoiding using jargon helps a lot, and it's a clear improvement in my writing style. If you want a preview, click here although that will eventually get revised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home