Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Just one more plug: Baylans, a Philippine online novel.

As for my day, there were a lot of ironies.

I guess first and foremost is the fact that I only have one class on Tuesdays, and I find out when I'm in school that the teacher gave us a free cut. *blech* Unfortunately, I couldn't go home yet because I have a group meeting for Philo, people to meet, and books to loan.

As for the group meeting in Philosophy, well, I thought I was going to expain the group's topic tomorrow but Kit thought I was hogging all the glory. Aside from the fact that I thought I could be more articulate with the topic than any other group member (as proven with the multiple questions and explanations they're asking me), I thought that was the way they wanted it. I mean in previous group reports, people were shy and didn't really want to be the ones explaining. I also thought it would be best if one speaker gave the entire lecture rather than several people trying to make sense of what the previous one said. Kit told me I was arrogant. I told him he got that part right.

Anway, when he was asking me what part I wanted to discuss, I told him any part. He mistook it for me being angry at the group, when it's just me being the lax self. I mean it is a democracy, after all, and I'm okay with whatever the group chooses. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last Sunday, Fed told me that I have a reputation of being anti-Tolkien. And of course, I just confirmed it with Arianna today. And well, that's just a perfect example of the dichotomy of my persona. Truly people, if I were really anti-Tolkien, I wouldn't be going to The Two Towers premier. Better yet, I wouldn't have read the books at all. Or maybe I could just drop all civility and call it trash and whatever stupid thought that comes into my head. Just because I criticize does not necessarily mean I automatically despise (nor should you assume I automatically like). I find it healthy to keep an open mind and see both sides of the spectrum. And since at the time, Tolkien isn't lacking in popularity, I thought I'd play devil's advocate. But I'm sticking to the point that there's something in the writing style that drags (or fails to keep my attention).

While we're on the subject of that, I'd also like to say that I'm thirty pages away from finishing Once and Future King (by T.H. White). Why has it taken me this long (nearly a month) to finish? It's certainly not the length since I've read thicker books in less time. I guess it's the writing style. I'm just not used to it. I should have learned, considering those that recommended the book all like Tolkien (at least there's consistency). I'm not saying the book isn't worthy of praise. There's really something imaginative in it, especially the way it tackles Arthur's childhood. But I don't know, there's something that fails to make me want to pick the book up once I've put it down short of utter boredom. Of course I managed to finish Lord of the Rings in under a week (and that's three books), so you can really say Once and Future King isn't my cup of tea.

To continue the dichotomy that is me, there's also the sentiment that people think I'm anti-yaoi. Me? Anti-yaoi? The only reason I discourage yaoi in the mailing list I used to moderate is because it's a general patronage mailing list, which means kids and other "unenlightened" people. Not that I think there's something wrong with yaoi but at the time, most of the topics revolved around graphic scenes involving acts tantamounting to sex. For the same reasons why foul language and hentai were highly discouraged in the POML, so was yaoi, not because I have a personal vendetta against it but because it was my duty was moderator to do just that: moderate without impunity. And ummmm, girls have been talking in yaoi jargon around me for quite some time. The only reason I'm banned in pinoy_yaoi isn't because I'm against it (I was actually a lurker that made occassional posts) but because one of the moderators is so insecure that she has a vendetta against me (which is, of course, another story).

Jaime told me that she'd get paid for the paper she was going to fax. So I grabbed it and threatened to plunge it down the grate. And then I asked her why we left the FBR building to go to Intermatrix. She answered that it was because she was going to fax the paper.

Me: But there's a store where you can send fax in the FBR building...

Lastly, took a trip to A Different Bookstore since my carpool brought me to EDSA at 5 pm (which is early for me). Finally got a copy of Pier's Anthony's Xanth novels, the first three in the series neatly packed in a trade paperback. I was also going to get a copy of Edding's Belgariad (in two trade paperbacks, the first combining the first three novels, the second the last two) but I ran out of money since someone's asking me to buy Priestess of Avalon for them. I think it's the sequel to Mists of Avalon (another book that took me quite some time to finish).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home