Friday, December 13, 2002

Aside from the heavy bag I was carrying, I was also receiving text messages from my Philo groupmates because according to them, I was articule and thus wanted me to write the comprehensive outline for the group. I agreed but I told them they'd do the summary and handouts. Of course while I was typing the comprehensive outline early this morning, I thought of doing the summary and handout as well, just to get it right.

Cyril got to browse through the Epic Level Handbook. Actually, he was reading it the entire time Adrian and Alex were giving a lecture. Contrary to what you might believe, Adrian as a lecturer actually livens up the audience (in comparison to the stories I hear of him game-mastering, making players like Jobert fall asleep). Of course I guess it helps that I occassionally butt in and make a joke.

Adrian: The greatest thing about RPGs is that it doesn't cost much. You play free the first time.

Alex: It's like drugs. You know their marketing tactic? It's the same as ours!

-a few minutes later-

Adrian: ... so if you want to meet other RPG gamers, you can meet up with us tomorrow at Quezon Ave-

Charles: Pay attention! That's where they get their dosage of drugs...

Anyway, around twenty people attended the talk, and that includes all the Litsoc officers, the moderator, and me. Adrian also had guests like his girlfriend(?) and Jacob (the LotR judge and one of four champions in the RPG). Of course when Alex was using Jacob as an example.

Alex: You learn new things when playing RPGs. Say the game master (GM) introduces an automatic rifle in the 1920s, a player would say that it's not possible since firearms like those aren't developed until... what year Jacob?

Jacob: *says year*

Alex: And what automatic weapon would be available at that time?

Jacob: *begins to answer when Antonio (a.k.a. Rags, a.k.a. Timmy, a.k.a. guy who freaks out everyone at CCHQ [aside from me, of course]) suddenly interrupts him*

Fortunately, it quelled down before Jacob and Antonio could debate about military tactics and firearms. Antonio also kept making these geeky comments that was thankfully ignored by the crowd and the speakers, pushing through the talk with everyone's rapt attention (and they're actually learning something).

Of course around ten minutes before the talk ends, George (a.k.a. the guy who is always in black, a.k.a. the guy who asks everyone "is it anything like Vampire?", a.k.a. person who hosts RPG games for mental masturbation) enters. I guess we can be grateful for small miracles.

To complete the people-at-ateneo-you-must-avoid-at-all-costs, Leo enters, sitting beside Antonio. But thankfully, the three of them didn't make a scene, although George was pestering Jacob at the end since he wanted the core rule book for the Lord of the Rings RPG.

The officers were thanking me for organizing such a great talk. I wish more people could have attended but oh well. Adrian and Alex were similarly grateful for being able to push RPGs. Oh yeah, we also have a new recruit for the dying "caf-up people" (the caf-up being us geeks who play RPGs, CCGs, and other eccentric hobbies).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home