Friday, November 21, 2003

Unemployed at 21

Dean, Nikki and Jason were trying to find me an occupation I could apply for once I graduate but me being the skilless and lazy person that I am (not to mention not wanting to take advantage and abuse my parents/relatives [actually it's all about wanting nothing to do with them... except I live and eat under their roof] because of all the politics involved [and in Chinese culture, one favor done automatically means you're in a perpetual debt where each of you continually does favors for each other, which becomes a real problem in my case]).

So a few months from now, I will officially be unemployed and in need of a job. Maybe if any of you has this big company or knows someone in need of an, uh, glorified secratary, just point them my way.

But honestly, it's not as bleak as it sounds. One of the privileges of actually not being stuck in poverty is that one still has choice as to which jobs to take. If I was starving, I'd take any job on. But me being me, I think I'll always have the call center to fall back upon as a worse-case scenario. And it's not like I don't have an impending job once I actually graduate...

At the Printers

I managed to take a tour of a friend's printer, which is within walking distance (at least for me... I can hardly imagine other people taking the walks I have, such as the MRT station to Rockwell Powerplant Mall [because honestly, it is really OUT OF THE WAY unless you have a car]). So amidst Jerry Yan ads and other magazine photos, perhaps what intrigued me was the fact at how pests and vermins can cause a whole lot of trouble in the sensitive machines of the printers.

Take for example the common house fly (in the case of the Philippines, mosquitos, and these things are rampant unlike other countries in the West). It entered one of the plates so the design of a certain publication all had the design of a small mosquito somewhere in its pages. While it probably would have made a great logo, one single fly can cause that much catastrophe (the plates had to be redone, naturally). So now they have this device that emits this sound which keeps the flies away.

Unfortunately, said device is scattered around the work place and it scared a rat. The rat hid inside one of the printers and slowly started chewing off the main cord. The printer went offline for a whole week and you can imagine telling your employers at how you can't print because of a single rat.

On a side note, while at the printer, I realized one thing: as much as I love reading books, magazines really are my thing. I mean it's easier to read without the investment in time. I can take it with me to the bathroom and don't have to worry about the magazine being messed up (since they're sturdier than books and more glossy). Before I was reading books (i.e. grade school), I was reading all these piles of video game magazines (i.e. Gamepro), and then later shifted to gaming in general (i.e. Inquest), and finally into anime/manga (i.e. Animerica). Ever since college, I haven't really kept a subscription, although there are a few Dragon magazines lying in my room ever since I got back into RPGs.

He Remembers!

Accompanying the guest speaker to the lounge for the ACP (Alternative Class Program) I attended yesterday, I ran into Danton. Elbert re-introduced us to him and apparently, he remembers me ("hindi ba naging studyante kita, Charlie?"). Which is actually surprising... (Well, obviously he remembers Elbert, but that's forgivable since Elbert's gay and if anyone basks in the limelight more than me, it's Elbert [the Tim Yap of comics!]).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home