Sunday, September 14, 2003

The Other Half of My Life

Spent last evening with the people who usually hang out at Comic Quest, like Vin, Dean, Nikki, Marco, Jason, Dino, Andrew ("Youngblood #1") and Ralph ("Youngblood #2"). Leinil Yu did drop by and some photographs were taken by fanboy Andrew, who also got a sketch among other things.

It's not Magic!

I just explained to Dean how an abacus works. He was just shocked that it wasn't a calculator that does all the computation for you but merely heightens your existing mathematical talent.

Of course the irony is that despite having four Chinese in the shop, no one knew how to properly operate the abacus, including the multiplication and division calculations.

F2

Ken and Vanness had their concert yesterday along with two females from Meteor Garden. Yes, I know people who went to the concert. Moving on...

The 7 am Meeting

Woke up as early as 5:15 am since I was supposed to meet to those who went to the immersion in Montalban at 7 am. Dropped my sister at the Ateneo high school since she was having her ACET today and I waited at a bench starting 6:20 am. Unfortunately, they didn't arrive until 8:15 am, and that's only because I had to call them up to wake them up at 7 am.

Times like these, I'm happy I brought a book.

More delays involved eating at Jollibee, taking the LRT2 to Cubao, only to return to Katipunan since the FX heading for Montalban passed through the normal route. Of course when I got there, things got worse.

The Immersion Return Trip

While the families were very happy to see us and engaged in conversation, my companions were mainly interested in taking pictures for their theology report. They bought black and white film to make the setting seem more pitiful, asked our foster parents to pose even using as an excuse that those who weren't able to come were looking for pictures, and oogling at the babies (some needed rest) and coddled them since they were cute and they wanted to take pictures. Get my drift?

It was like watching a film director romanticizing a certain aspect of Filipino life. Except my companions weren't as overt. And these are people who are involved in the socially-oriented orgs at school.

I just wondered that if it they didn't have a theology report and didn't need to make a scrapbook, would they have come back? If the babies weren't as cute (as if there's a baby that's not "cute"), would they still be as persistent?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home