Sunday, September 07, 2003

Itching for Short Stories

Suddenly, I'm craving for SF&F short stories. But I'm broke so I can't go out and buy the Fantasy and Horror anthology at Ink & Stone/A Different Bookstore.

And I have 21 days to come out with a final output for the "book" that my block is supposed to publish.

Maybe once I graduate, I'll be like the stalker that I am and vanish from the face of the earth.

Except I have a blog.

Reeking of Geeking

Coined by Elbert, used by many. If he got a penny for every time it was used, well, that would be a lot of pennies (from penniless people, unfortunately).

So what does that have to do with me? Well, when I was a kid, I was a comics fan. But I decided to save up on money so I quit. But I got into video games. But there were power failures so I quit. Then I got into Magic: The Gathering. But there were cute girls into anime and my funds could only handle one hobby. So anime it was. But my crush didn't like me so I got depressed over anime. So there was a resurgence into my SF&F tendencies. And then came RPGs. But my reading material is still priority. But it's amazing how much I've picked up over the years.

No More Money

When it comes to treating out people, I have no will power. And well, the next six months will probably the last time I'll be treating anyone out since I'll be joining the ranks of the unemployed soon and I can say good bye to my allowance.

I'll literally be a starving writer, and maybe that's enough pressure for me to continue writing (except writing in the Philippines doesn't really pay, unless you work for advertising, or you work for government propaganda).

Chinese

Dean asked me if I resented being Chinese. I used to, several years ago. But whatever your culture, your ethnicity, your nationality, you'll always be facing problems. Whether I'm a Filipino or a Chinese or a Muslim or an American or a Japanese or a Korean or a Palestinian or whatnot, there'll always be something for me to face up to.

So no, I don't resent me being Chinese. I could be in worse situations, perhaps starving. I wish though that I knew how to speak Chinese, whether it's mandarin, fookien, or even cantonese.

There's always prejudice everywhere, no matter where you are. Me living in the Philippines where Filipino-Chinese deny their Filipino heritage is just the tip of the ice berg, especially when they're more Filipino than Filipinos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home