Monday, September 22, 2003

Family Dinner

Every Sunday, my family (is forced) to go to my grandparent's house and have dinner with the rest of my relatives on my mother's side.

For the past few weeks though, this obligation was stopped since my grandfather was in the ICU.

Apparently, my grandfather isn't in the ICU anymore and is back at his home, which means that the regular Sunday dinner was once again effective as of yesterday.

Of course it's a sad sad sight when my grandfather and grandmother are in two separate rooms, the former unable to speak because of his heart condition and the best that I can do is hold his hand, while the latter has shrunken legs and can't speak because there's a tube stuck in her throat to get rid of all the phlegm that comes out.

And They Forgot My Birthday

Not all of them. Some did remember. Others didn't, and it was obvious, because they usually buy me clothes every year, and yesterday's gift was ampao (money inside red envelopes). Not that I don't like receiving ampao...

The Ampao Business

Of course despite the urgings of my family to learn more about my Chinese heritage, it seems that they themselves are pretty much ignorant of it. An example is the ampao I receive from them. Technically, the amount should be divisible by 12, or 6, or even 3. But my parents usually give me ampao in amounts not divisible by those numbers. The only exception is my aunt who gives me amounts of money divisible by twelve, whether it's P1200 or P240 (which explains the not-quite-whole-number amount).

Me Being Evil

Me: I could buy you a gameboy advance SP.

Vin: No!

Me: I had to offer (even though I know you'll refuse). Maybe I could entice Nikki or Dean...

Vin: They'll refuse.

Me: I know, but I want to see their faces as they struggle to say no...

Bible Boy

Our theo teacher asked these questions today and while I didn't openly answer them, I mumbled and got them correct, to the surprise of my seatmates.

Teacher: St. Stephen was the first martyr. Does anyone know how he died?

Me: Stoned to death.

Teacher: He was stoned to death.

Teacher: Paul was on his way to Damascus and there he found God. He fell off his donkey. And then guess what happened?

Me: He got blinded by light.

Teacher: He was blinded.

Teacher: God talked to Paul then. Do you know what he said?

Me: Why are you persecuting me?

Girl whom teacher called: Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?

Seatmate: How do you know all this?

Me: I've, uh, read the entire bible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home