Monday, May 12, 2003

ISP Acting Again

*sigh* One of these days (when I finally have a job), I'll shift to another lesser-known ISP. But in the meantime, I'll have to settle with Mindgate. The only good thing about Mindgate is that it has a large inbox capacity.

Anyway, here are last night's supposed entries.

Why Today

Well, I came to school early so that I could go to the library and photocopy some reading material for class. Unfortunately, the second floor wasn't open until 8 am.

Of course when I finally got there, all the photocopiers were gone. As in they weren't there. The photocopier operators were there but no machines. There's this huge empty space amidst the bookshelves at the second floor.

Had to go to the Filipiana section just to have the readings photocopied, and as a personal rule, I try not to have things photocopied there because that's where the books that can't be borrowed are located and I want to give priority to those photocopying those kinds of books. But since there were only two photocopiers available, the other one being crowded by people at the ground floor, I had no choice.

When I finally went to the desk to return the book I borrowed, found out that the library was renovating and that you couldn't borrow books that day.

Out of Print Books

Well, this is perhaps a SF&F fan's tragedy. Among them are the ff:

Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser" books. White Wolf did reprint the first two books though.

Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Guardian" series (also coined the term multiverse). Again, White Wolf did republish them in omnibus trade paperbacks but most of them (especially the Elric novels) also went out of print.

Fred Saberhagen's "Book of Lost Swords" series.

Various Isaac Asimov novels.

A lot of H.P. Lovecraft's stories.

Stephen R. Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series (own these though).

Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" series.

So if you happen to run into any of these books at a book sale or at the book store, get them quick!

Current Curiosity

Well, I've always been a fan of myths and right now, I'm trying to get as much books (but alas, no money) on myths and legends.

Of course don't tell me Edith Hamilton. There's too much Greek mythology circulating. I'm in for the not-so-known myths: Indian (Hindu), Japanese, Chinese, Filipino (UP has a series of books but there's around five of them and they cost something like P800 each... if anyone wants to give me an advanced birthday present...), Norse, Russian, South American, European, and anything else you think might interest me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home