Monday, April 07, 2003

I Forgot to Mention it Yesterday

Yesteday, the rendezvous to meet up with Elbert and Jaime was in Starbucks 6750. Since I didn't want to wait outside, looking like an idiot, for thirty minutes, I ordered a drink (not coffee, it makes me dizzy, and not the regular frap, since I'm allergic to chocolate). Of course when I saw the cashier lady, a hint of recognition flickered in my mind: I've seen her before. Of course as I came closer, it was evident in her facial expression that the same thing was going through her mind.

When I was finally there, she asked me "CCHQ right? You're the guy usually at CCHQ?". From there, we started talking since she knew the former batch of Ateneans who graduated and liked anime.

Of course last night, it dawned on me where I saw her. Not at CCHQ but at one of the anime conventions (C3 if I'm not mistaken). She was one of the volunteers assigned in coordinating with the cosplayers. Oh well, maybe I'll her in the upcoming con a few weeks from now, Telesuccess's Anime Explosion.

Speaking of Telesuccess

They're releasing a comic anthology. And well, they got one of the most popular franchises here in the Philippines: Voltes V.

Of course if we're talking about Voltes V franchises, they got it dirt cheap. Something like low five digits (if I get a job, I could probably earn it in a few months) for 3 years, or so my "reputable" sources say. And it's understandable why it's priced that low. Voltes V only became popular here in the Philippines.

If you want the first super robot, that's Mazinger Z. And even its second sequel, Grandizer, was more popular than Voltes V because at least Grandizer got serialized in Europe and in the US, as well as Asia.

If you want "combining robot" which is what Voltes V is known for ("let's volt in!"), there's Combattler V, the one that started it (well, actually Getta Robo, but Combattler V had more realistic combination sequences).

One look at the Super Robot Wars video games proves this theory. The early games had Combattler V as the combining robot. And Dancougar. And other popular robot shows. It's only recently (meaning the past four or five years) that Voltes V started popping up in Super Robot Wars. And I guess an acquaintance was laughing his heart out when Voltes V and Combattler V appeared in the same game. But I'm digressing.

Even Daimos is more popular than Voltes V, and similarly, its franchise is more expensive (but still affordable). So Telesuccess did a smart marketing move, since they did manage to acquire a popular franchise, and they got it cheap (it's not even 5% of Starbuck's franchise!).

Anyway, the anthology is entitled Questor Extreme Mangamania and it's priced at P100. It has a colored cover, but like the saying goes "don't judge a book by it's cover" it's in B&W (hehehe, our practice in Comicol). It's also 72 pages long (I don't know if that includes ads).

The cover is featuring a redesign of Voltes V. The art looks good. Of course it remains to be seen whether the execution and storytelling is just as good.

Concept of the story is it happens 8 years after the end of the TV series and "Little Jon" is now the head honcho assembling a new crew to face "a new threat".

Meanwhile, the other three stories are original ones (as far as I know). One is Cante Ista, a story about people from various parts of the world being called The Devil's Tower in Wyoming. Another is Free Spirits, a tale of seven friends taking their vacation in a rest house but the rest house is occupied by souls seeking to be set free. And lastly is Sidesweepers, which is written by Igor. Concept seems good, as Sidesweepers are cops 20 years from now. Aside from arresting criminals, they double as officers directing traffic (the equivalent of the MMDA) and "cleaning up the streets" (whether that refers to actually doing some cleaning or used as an expression to mean they arrest people, I don't know, but I think it's the former).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home