Friday, April 04, 2003

April Fools

For some strange reason, I always thought that April Fools fell on the 4th, not the 1st.

Waiting

So there I was, waiting at 6750 for Jaime to pick me up since that was where we had arranged to meet. Of course he came to fetch me thirty minutes after telling him I was there already. Which really isn't anything new since I've been waiting at that post since last year, when I'd drop by Jobert's condo.

I'm used to it by now, the stares some people give me, or the taxis that expect me to be their next passenger. I wish I was a fan of automobiles, so I can admire the expensive vehicles the residents of Makati have, but I'm not, so I was just there, standing and waiting. I wish I also drank Starbucks coffee, but you all know I'm a cheapskate, so I'd rather wait in the sun for my ride rather than enter the air-conditioned counter and spend P100 for a drink.

Then it dawned on me that at this point, I should just be walking to their homes to meet them. I mean it took me fifteen minutes to get from Ortigas to Makati via car. It's taking Jaime 30 minutes to get from Rockwell to Makati. With thirty minutes, I could have walked from Guadalupe to Makati. Then again, I don't exactly know how to get to Jaime's place. All I know is that it's near the Powerplant Mall.

However, I do know how to get to Jobert's place, and it only takes me half that time. So the next time Jobert's in the country, instead of asking him to pick me up at 6750, I'd just meet him in his condo. And save him gas money at the same time. =)

Charles the Eternal Skinny Guy

Which is what people assume since they seldom see me eat. Which is more or less what happened at Jaime's place as I ate two pieces of squash and some rice. Of course I just had breakfast but...

My Employers

Later that afternoon, came to meet with my employers. It's an air-conditioned building (right next to Starbucks!) with security guards. The first thing that caught my eye was the receptionist and the three phones she was handling. One of the phones even had half a dozen red lights blinking.

Anyway, the mood of the business area was something familiar... and strangely, so Atenean. My employers were pretty young and their outfits were not formal (no business suits!). Three of the four executives were female (strangely enough, they remind me of various people I know... one reminds me of Lala, complete with accent and speech pattern, another looked like Elbert's older sister) and guess what, most of them studied in Ateneo. >.<

Work Area

As I was retouching Jaime Bautista's Flash presentation, I just realized how important the work area is. I think each person is most comfortable with their own computers. For example, at Elbert's place, I found the computers slow and the keyboard difficult to use (since it was in a drawer). Jaime was using a Mac and well, one thing I really like about the PC is the fact that the mouse has two buttons. Sure, you could purchase a two-button mouse for the Mac or hold the apple button but doing stuff with one hand goes a long long way.

And regardless of the popular saying that a Mac doesn't crash, it does (although not as often as a PC). And beleive me, I've tried to Force Quit a program before and the computer crashed. At least Jaime tells me that doesn't happen anymore with OS 10 but...

Building from Scratch

Much akin to writing, it seems that I have to scrap the entire work I've done so far for the Flash program and start from scratch. It's easier to build than to edit, especially at this point.

Of course I'll start tomorrow, since I've been out the whole day, and I'll probably die from radiation poisoning for yesterday's immersion with the computer.

Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah #2

Click here for a preview of this really funny comic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home