Friday, February 22, 2002

Perhaps the biggest controversy at school right now is the school's decision to ban "The Vagina Monologues". Idiots. The vice president, who didn't bother to read the script, consulted with only the theology department. She didn't bother to ask the English department, the Filipino department, or even the Fine Arts department. What do they know anyway? They're just people involved with the arts and literature... which is what the play is!!! It's actually been discussed with my block for quite some time now. I only brought it up now because it came out in the school paper, the Guidon.

When I read the article, it brought back memories of my time working as news editor at Xavier. Free speech is something deprived from students, even until college. Anyway, if something like that happened in Xavier, I can just imagine the reaction our editor-in-chief would have. He would be pleased as something was happening. We'd have something to write in our school paper that would draw the attention of students and alumni alike. Whether it's good or bad publicity, it doesn't matter as long as there's something happening. I couldn't help but recall that as I read the Guidon in utter boredom today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home