Saturday, February 01, 2003

Wasting an hour or so at Starbucks (one of the rare instances that I actually go to that place) and freezing myself to death, significant events of the day come back to me.

Two of my classmates from feature writing wrote about their high schools: Poveda, albeit each in a different perspective. Ingrid (one of my cuter classmates) worked inward and wrote about Poveda's history, while the other one (girl in front of me, forgot her name) wrote about how the outside affected them as students inside the school. Miss Chit also recounted about the strictness of skirt length during her time. Monitors and teachers would make girls kneel and take out a half-foot ruler to measure the hem of the skirt. Of course this would be circumvented over the years by either holding your breath, thus making the skirt fall down, or wear a long skirt but fold the waist when no one was looking.

Finally bought the Extended DVD of Fellowship of the Ring. When I passed by Music One today, couldn't find it in their stalls. Later, in my attempt to leave the house, I ended up in Astrovision of Virra Mall and the saleslady was hesitant to give me a copy since someone had it on reserve. (Should I be happy that Astrovision let go of their reservation, or sad that I can't trust them to hold reservations?) I'm presuming that all the other video shops ran out of it. Wow. All gone in less than a week. My precious...

Of course one of the things I just discovered is the fact that my DVD-ROM can reset its region setting. Which basically means I can now watch Fellowship of the Ring on my PC!!! Actually tried running it on my sister's laptop but since that caused errors, I was forced to try it on my PC and viola! Now if only my room wasn't consumed by cigarette smoke...

Which brings me to Starbucks, since where in the world am I going to find a place to read at this hour? Brought Stephen King's On Writing with me, the book that's part memoir, part instructional. Makes me want to get Terry Brook's memoir when it comes out this month I think.

Speaking of authors, Karl from Singapore sent the Cheng Chua sisters a copy of Guards! Guards!, a Terry Pratchett discworld novel. The inside cover had Pratchett's picture. Inside was a post-it note with Karl's anecdote:

"While I was browsing through the section that had the Terry Pratchett books, I saw this caucasian man. I was talked to him since I was figuring out which books made up the night watch trilogy. Later, to check that I got the right book, I opened it and saw Pratchett's photo. I think I just had a conversation with him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home