Monday, January 27, 2003

The reason I haven't blogged lately is because I'm still waiting for more comments about my shelf (see bottom entry). Yes, I am arrogant. And while it's not shown on the pics, I still have a third shelf...

Since I often rave about books, here's one for my ultra-conservative friends who think Harry Potter is Satanic: What's A Christian to Do with Harry Potter? by Connie Neal. Found a copy at Powerbooks but as usual, I'm broke (mainly because aside from buying a birthday present for Izza, also ran into unexpected people today whose birthdays have recently occurred and I had to run away from them once I gave them their gifts since they might return it to me). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Harry Potter is not demonic. Do you really need to buy a book just to tell you that? Of course these same people who are afraid of Harry Potter cheer when it comes to Narnia and Lord of the Rings. Never mind the fact that the complaints against Harry Potter (magic, wizards, witches, monsters, etc.) can be applied to Narnia and LotR but hey, that's just me.

Elbert tricked me into paying half of the food we ate in T.I.B. The crab rice was good for two people at P75.00 but since I'm cheapo when it comes to food, I could have done without it.

And of course, Ateneo's all excited about PAASCU (the committee that gives accreditation to universities). Also known as the biggest farce in private school history. I mean during high school, Xavier suddenly renovated the bathrooms, gave lectures on what the school's mission and vision was, and told everyone to be on their best behavior. Even one of our editors wrote a column entitled "the country's greatest show" with the school's faculty and staff deserving the Oscars for acting. Of course lately in Ateneo, more or less the same thing is happening. We have new restrooms, and even the "historical site" where former president Joseph Estrada beat up one of his batchmates inside is gone. Heck, some teachers are even making "class rehearsals" for PAASCU, showing students where to walk, how to come in, and what the lesson will be. And as if the buildings in Ateneo are conspiring against PAASCU, it's only in this school year that the buildings are starting to collapse. SEC couldn't support itself so new pillars were added. The third floor of Kostka collapsed during a storm and now it's fixed. Yes, pakikiplastic and lying runs deep in Filipino culture, and you can't really blame them especially when a "Jesuit" and "conservative" university of the "Opus Dei" is encouraging it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home