Thursday, January 09, 2003

First off, here are some links to Zoid summaries to my new acquaintance Dan. Ep Guides has a full listing of the shows and synopsis to the second season. Here's a link if you want summaries of the first season. Overall, Zoid's isn't so bad. It's not the best as clearly upon watching it, there's some serious story flaws. It's cute sometimes but well, most of it is eye candy and basic drama (i.e. predictable). Nothing to celebrate in the story department although the zoids look cool. The good outweighs the bad but this isn't anime you watch if you want depth.

Another guilty pleasure of mine is Beyblade. The one showing on ABS-CBN and not the one on Cartoon Network, mind you. And why not the latter? For one thing, they ruined a perfectly catchy and upbeat opening theme (I haven't seen the original Zoids so I can't say if the US remake is guilty of this). Second, it's bastardized in the way Americans try to market anime (think "Card Captors" and "Battle of the Planets" [not G-Force mind you] when I say bastardize). The whole Beyblade thing was marketed as an olympic event in the Cartoon Network dub. There's the Beyblade Association logo whenever there are tournament battles, invisible commentators that don't really say anything that's not obvious (unless saying "I didn't expect Tyson's Beyblade to do that!" or "it's spinning like crazy!" isn't obvious), and to appeal to the "Pokemon" viewers, there's stats (basically attack, defense, and speed) of each Beyblade whenever there's a challenge. Obviously, these things aren't present in the original Japanese run. When I last checked Ep Guides, a couple of Beyblades episodes haven't been aired.

Moving on to the actual show, Beyblade is okay once you accept the fact that it's a marketing tool and highly exagerrated. Much like the mini-4WD anime Let's & Go, there's the cast of varied characters that make up the Japanese team. And of course, they have unique Beyblades in a world where the sport is popular (the president of America plays Beyblade?!?!) and what is supposed to be an inaminate object left to the mercies of chance is actually controlled by their owners. In the real world, the battling arena is just this plastic bowl. In the anime, the stage can be as complex as The Great Wall of China to the Grand Canyon. And watch the super powers of those Beyblades!

If you're wondering why I'm ranting about all these shows, it's because they're the only shows I watch on TV these days, aside from Drew Carey and Titus, since all the other good shows are either reruns or not available. As for my day, I'm supposed to have only one class. Unfortunately, no one told me that it was a free cut (because of an awarding ceremony or something) so I went to school without going to class the entire day. I had a D&D game though so I spent the day at the caf up playing with the 16th-level cleric who literally faced a horde of demons and a few dragons.

Bought Hikaru no Go #20 for Athene as well as the Hikaru no Go character book (a.k.a. #10.5) but with the typical Chinese attitude, she's declining. And to address Dan's comment, ummm, as much as I want to earn $20,000, the idea of getting paid to marry someone doesn't exactly appeal to me. For one thing, it sounds unethical (well, there are several reasons to marry someone like love, duty, honor, and responsibility, but money isn't exactly a value). Two, there are a lot of Chinese people here so I'm not exactly strained to look for one. I was complaining about my dad's idea since I feel it's prejudiced to be limited to choosing who you can marry or not just because of their race. I've seen perfectly good relationships bog down because of that one differences, where the parents of the Chinese one aren't supportive of their child, even threatening to leave them out of the inheritance if they marry someone not Chinese. (Suffice to say, I'm willing to risk getting disinherited.) Third, as shocking as it sounds, there are Chinese girls who are actually interested in me. Unfortunately, I'm interested in someone else, despite the fact that she doesn't like me. *sob* (Will keep trying though as long as there's 1% change of success!) Fourth, Chinese marriages here in the Philippines can get weird sometimes. I mean the parents of the bride usually "give" the groom a dowry. During one of those Feng Shui rituals related to marriage I was invited in (inviting a number of people who are born on the appropriate Chinese Zodiac to eat at the couple's future home), the dowry involved a Corola Altis car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home