Saturday, September 28, 2002

I'm semi-depressed but not to the point that it's noticeable. I've been living the past few days in a hopeless kind of way but not to the point that I emit an aura of despair.

As proof of depression, I just told Tchan I'd buy her the Slam Dunk artbook. I mean I'd gladly do it as I haven't been giving her birthday and Christmas presents for the past few years. I'm known to randomly give gifts to people during this stage of my life. Oh well, it cheers me up when I make people happy. Yes, I'm weird.

Anyway, ISP is up and running again. Hopefully permanently. Can't watch TV since the cable is a bit blurry. Was planning to watch Mutant X but oh well. Had to wake up at 9 am today to meet my gaming group at Robinsons Galleria. As usual, people came late and the game started at around lunch time. Finally managed to level up. My character is now a level 4 rogue. Unfortunately, our cleric is still level 2 and the party really needs a lot of healing, especially since there are seven of us in the party and there's only one character capable of casting cure spells. Our GM is also stingy when it comes to gold. Right now, I don't think we even have 1000 gold pieces and our magic items only consist of 2 +1 short swords and a +1 scale mail. That's it.

During our breaks, my gaming group was talking about books. We all love George R. R. Martin. It's epic fantasy that's so descriptive and keeps you quite interested. Jordan's world is also descriptive and has a lot of twists but somehow, manages to bog down somewhere in the middle. The world isn't less descriptive or less exciting. It's just that Martin does a better job at keeping the reader's attention than Jordan.

Naturally, we'd also end up with Tolkien. The GM and I agree: Tolkien set the benchmark but a lot of today's works are written better and more intriguing (and exciting).

Terry Brook's Sword of Shannara is a Tolkien-clone, but his subsequent books are a lot more imaginative and realistic. As Jobert noted before, in Elfstones of Shannara, a lot of characters die at the start. It's more realistic that way. My take on Brooks is that his works get better over time, in contrast to Goodkind who's succeeding books are making me lose interest.

Dragonlance and Forgotten Realm's setting is nothing new. It's a Tolkien-clone as well with humans, elves, dwarves, and hobbits... I mean halflings/kender. But characterization and plots are what make it interesting, from the anti-hero Raistlin to the outcast dark-elf hero Drizzt. But then again, that's just me.

Oh yeah, I guess the rise of DVD-Rs are going to proliferate soon. Melody, a generic supplier of CD-Rs, have released boxes of DVD-Rs. I've seen them at Robinson's Galleria and each disc can store up to 4.7 GB. Wow! That's like last year's hard drive. Then there's the really small discs which store some 200+ MB and CD-Rs 99 minutes long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home