Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Today was anything but ordinary. It was extremely abnormal.

First off, my driver forgot to pick me up from school. I waited for 45 minutes until I finally went to a pay phone to call home. I then found out that the driver indeed forgot about me. I should have known. This isn't the first time that it happened.

Furious at the incident, I took a jeep to bring me to Cubao. I was planning to take a taxi but finding a vacant one would take long. It's a good thing that the traffic wasn't heavy. Which is strange because it was 7 pm and that's usually the peak hours. While riding the jeep, I realized that it's been a year since I last used public transportation to go home from Ateneo.

Speaking of taking public transportation, earlier today Jobert and I had to bring Navarro to Aurora Blvd. and instruct him on how to get to Makati. I didn't expect I'd be taking my own advice, going to Aurora to find a jeep that'll bring me to Cubao.

Second, we had our Jap 1 midterms today. For someone who didn't study... well, I found it quite difficult. I don't think I failed but I doubt if I scored high either. Oh well, those are the breaks when you're chaotic evil... I mean when you're a ronin. ^^

Third, the group report on Sci 10 was interesting. There's this organization here in the Philippines known as cell. They recycle and reuse everything they have. Manure is filtered and then used to water the plants, or it can be fed to worms that in turn produce fertilizer. Waste management is something they excel in, and all the technology being used is feasible here in the Philippines! Too bad the government doesn't use it though. They still rely on landfills and furnaces to get rid of the trash... which is actually harmful to the environment. A classmate even ask if the technology is so efficient, why doesn't the government use it? Because for one thing, our government officials look at things short term and buying this new technology would seem as an expenditure even if it'll save money in the long run. Second, the first world countries have influences which makes people think twice in resorting to alternative ways of solving the trash problem (among other things).

And then I had to attend a talk by Bayer which was all about helping the environment by recycling and reusing materials. In a way, they are right. People have a stigma that industry is equal to pollution. Or that by being earth friendly, it means more cost. In actuality though, these things can work hand in hand, and being environment-friendly can help you save expenses in the long run. Just imagine the paper wastes a multinational company alone has, and by recycling those papers, how much money you save. Or the excess byproducts which can be reused for other products as well.

Tomorrow is going to be another day. It'll be part two of our economics midterms, as well as part two of our pscyhology group quiz. And our teacher Mr. Danton Remoto has finally returned, and perhaps I'll finally be able to master the reverse sinawari for my arnis class. And then there's Friday. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least catch a glimpse of my crush and say hi to her. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home