Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Environment

For me, taking care of the environment is an important thing, not just for myself but for the people around me. I mean in certain respects, I'm protected from most of nature's hazards. Right now it's raining and it feels like there's a storm brewing. In such a scenario, I'll be safe at home, protected from the hazards of the weather. But what about other people? The pedestrians? The squatters? Those who live below sea level? They will get affected by it, and it would even cost some people their lives. Of course on the other hand, I'm not complete invulnerable. The pollution level in the city is killing my lungs little by little. Elsewhere where the air is cleaner, I'd probably risk eating a lot of chocolate. Here though, breathing becomes difficult, so it's not something I'd take a chance on.

Perhaps one of the most brilliant things I've heard from my Sci10 teacher two years ago was the fact that we have to care for the Earth not for the Earth but for ourselves. And she has a point. The Earth will still be the Earth whether it's a utopian paradise of a bleak wasteland. The planet will endure and survive one way or another (even if it might become as barren as the moon). It's the inhabitants (that means us!) that suffer from the changes in the environment. So I really think there's good incentive for us to take care of our world. Don't do it for Mother Earth. Do it for yourself, and for the people you care about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home