Sunday, October 26, 2003

Lethargy

It's probably come to the point that half the day (i.e. 12 hours) is spent on sleeping (although not necessarily straight hours).

I'm probably unfit since I haven't done any, uh, long distance walking in eight days (i.e. long = house to megamall, or house to virra mall).

And I'm going through a towel a day (I don't use tissues because I've had a cold for most of my life and if I spent that much tissues... I'd be killing a significant amount of trees) routine, which isn't so bad except the towel gets too sticky and it's far from the best scenario when you're reading a book (unless you don't mind not being able to open the book again, at least without damage).

Dreams

When you're sleeping a lot, you don't have any shortage of dreams. Except the motif for the past few days is me failing an exam, whether it's in high school (I was having an exam in... Chinese!) or college. Which is strange since I'm not even grade conscious (I'm in school to learn... passing or failing is besides the point). Which brings me to my next point.

Education

Strangely, this whole ramble applies to religion as well.

Anyway, there are delinquent students and students who make it a pain in the pass for teachers and I think the reason for this is because, well, the students don't want to learn. They're just there because they're forced to. Let's face it: a number of students enrolled in private schools don't want to learn.

Because of that fact, rules are being imposed on kids so that they would go to school, or behave in school. Eventually, kids will learn what they don't want to learn. And sometimes even reject what they've learned after they've graduated from school. If there's such a thing as force-feeding, this is force-learning. Of course that sounds so much like institutionalized brainwashing...

Now you might argue kids don't know what they want. Well, as a kid myself once, I do know kids know what they want. They might not know what's best for them, but they do know what they want. Perhaps the difficulty is in making them want what's best for them, but honestly, even adults often don't know what's best for them, so that's besides the point and not really a valid excuse in my point.

I'd rather have "students" who are older than their counterparts but are really eager to learn that younger (and smaller) students but don't have the appropriate attitude towards learning.

I honestly think learning is an internal act, best left to the person to decide on. It makes them "better human persons" to actually want to learn, rather than to trust on other people for their decisions, or blindly do something (which sometimes can be a form of teaching one's self). Moreover, it trains a person to exercise their own will and freedom, and no other external motivations are needed to make the person study (or do their homework, etc.).

Not that I don't believe in giving the other person some incentives...
And when it comes to religion, this is more so since religion, at least Christianity, works on the principle that the person "chooses of their own free will to accept God". And somehow, when parents force their kids to attend mass, I don't see the "free will" part, especially when the kids squirm at having to go to church rather than watch TV at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home