Thursday, May 22, 2003

Pressed for Time

My last entry ended rather... abruptly. Mainly because I still had lots of things to do, one of which involves cramming Midnight's Children, a 500+ page book. But seeing that's not possible, well, I'll move on to today's blog entries.

My Double Life

There's a lot of things I don't tell my parents or relatives. And with good reason. Anything I say gets twisted. Heck, anything they observe gets corrupted. Take for instance the ff:

I know how to program! - This is what my uncle that's visiting from the US garnered from my father. My job at Rockwell was kept hidden from my parents but dad got a whiff of it (and he should, considering the clues around my room). And apparently, he's spread the word that I know computer language since my uncle was asking me things related to SQL and Visual Basic. And while Flash does have some programming, it's not something I'm an expert at.

I've read all the books in my room! - Again, this is what father told my uncle. I don't know how he came to that conclusion. An overstimation of my abilities? And my uncle wouldn't even beleive me at first when I told him I've only read something like half of what's in my room, mainly because I'm saving the rest for "rainy days". I mean I wish I've read all the books in my room. But that's a lot, and honestly, I don't want to spend every single hour doing nothing but read.

I own Comic Alley! - Well, this has been circulating years before during my brief summer job at Comic Alley. Somehow, the rumor escalated that I owned Comic Alley (and since I look Chinese, I must be the owner's relative!) which is even being perpetuated by Elbert's ex, Jamie.

I know Japanese! - I wish this was so. But after my brother and mother observing me watching anime (with subtitles, of course), they somehow had the idea that I had mastered the language in the span of a few months from watching anime. Oh sure, I have a Japanese word processor on my computer, but I use it more as a learning tool rather than, say, Microsoft Word.

I have a girlfriend! - I also wish this was so, perhaps more than the ability to be proficient with Japanese. Sure, my relatives and their friends see me with girls, but girl plus guy doesn't automatically mean boyfriend and girlfriend. Whatever happened to honest friendships? Or even classmates? And acquaintances? And me being the flirt that I am, will often be seen with girls. But they're not my girlfriends (I wish that's the case but I'm far from the crush ng bayan).

I'm a genius! - And this is a myth perpetuated by acquaintances who've never actually seen my grades. I don't know, maybe it's the glasses (I'm sorry but I look like a geek)? Or my silent-type manner? Or the fact that I'm often seen reading a book? It's as simple as entering a room and then when people are asked about their first impressions about me, I'm labeled as the genius, the smart-guy, the dependable type, etc. People, I barely pass my subjects. I have failed subjects. And the chances of getting high grades is the same of getting a D. I'm no idiot, but I'm no genius either.

Waiting for Godot

Well, Mr. Pulan pulled a fast one on us. We were supposed to have a quiz on Waiting for Godot and at the end of the class, he told us "if you're waiting for the quiz, it's like waiting for Godot... it will never come."

On a side note, I can expect to flunk tomorrow's quiz (I haven't passed any quiz so far) considering I'm only 1/5th of Midnight's Children. Not that I'm the only person who's going to fail tomorrow's quiz...

Braces

Well, I'll be having my nth dentist appointment tomorrow, or should I say later at 9 am. It's been what, six years since I've had braces? I guess I won't be eating anything solid tomorrow/today.

ISP Difficulties

Same old complaints as I can access the Internet only at certain hours of the day. And the clincher to my ISP is that I usually connect to one number just to access my email and dial another number so that I can surf the net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home