Saturday, February 15, 2003

Crap. Something happened and deleted what I just wrote.

Anyway, I was writing about pet peeves. One being people who use search engines to look for "free *insert book name*" and land on my blog. Buy the book. Give the author and the publisher credit. I would probably understand if the book is either 1) out of print (as is the case with some of H.P. Lovecraft), b) extremely expensive (especially those that only come in hardcovers), or c) hard to find. But that's not the case. I see mainstream fiction being searched. I mean these are books I can buy at National Bookstore, and since we're talking about Philippine bookstores, that's not saying much.

Pet peeve number two is Philippine conventions. Most of them are titled "First *insert convention name here*". Why the obsession with first? Some even twiddle with their name just so that it can be considered as first. Maybe it's Filipino mentality. We always want to be the best, and if that's not possible, the first. Or maybe it's because the organizers are mostly run by men and males have a tendency to obsess about being first (Honey, do you mean to say you've done it with someone else? Was he better? Why didn't you save yourself for me? I wanted to be the one.)?

I also wrote this awhile ago and didn't mention it earlier because I was lazy but here it is. Kevin J. Anderson (Dune prequels) is writing the novelization for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home