Thursday, February 13, 2003

Last night's entry which I didn't get to post...

Just finished watching the Saint Seiya [pirated] DVD Antonio bought for me a couple of months ago. It's the second season (gosh, the first season was 70+ episdoes long) and badly subtitled (although it has Malay and English plus the automatic Chinese subtitles). Of course when I mean bad subtitling, wrong grammer is just the start of it. I mean the main protagonist has been called three names already: Pegasus (the correct one), Unicorn, and Sagitarrius. That's not even counting his "real" name, Seiya, which is subtitled according to the Chinese pronounciation. Then there are rare times when there are no subtitles at all. Times like these, I'm glad I know how to read some Chinese as well as English and Japanese.

Anyway, Saint Seiya's a classic. This late 80s series pioneered the bishonen-group archetype with its cast of handsome young men fighting other gorgeous looking villains. Shurato and Ronin Warriors copied this theme and Saint Seiya's creator would also later make B'T X. Upon reflection, some shouji titles like Saiyuki probably got affected by Saint Seiya as well. And watching it again after some seven years, it's only now I noticed that Saint Seiya follows the "miko" or priestess theme with several "seishi" or guardians protecting her.

Storywise, Saint Seiya is a variant of mythology. The first season had the heroes battling the Zodiac and following the Greek mythology theme. The one I watched is the second season and has them fighting the Asgardian pantheon with villains like Fenrir and Seigfreid. And of course, the opposing side has their own priestess which used to be good but got possessed by the neibulung (which probably influenced Tolkien as well in his creation of The One Ring). I'm impressed with Alan Moore's mishmash of European literature in his comic League of Extraordinary Gentlement (especially with heroes like The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, and Captain Nemo to name a few). Saint Seiya is probably comparable to that, although you must undestand Saint Seiya is full of testosterone guys duking it out in uh, well, I can't say Dragonball Z fashion since Saint Seiya predates that series.

Back to my "life", CCHQ will hopefully be restocking tomorrow on their Japanese as well as English titles. Guess I'll be broke again. Too bad the people who owe me money can't pay me until the end of the month.

Second, shipped my first package today. Honestly, I don't know how to ship a package, much less a letter. Had Khristine help me. Bought one of those bubble-bags from National Bookstore and sent it to the courier at the 2nd floor of FBR. Unfortunately, I had signed the Fed Ex forms when I realized I was sending the package via Fed Ex (which costs P1400+, twice the price of what I'm actually shipping). Had to cancel it and the lady got annoyed to say the least. She didn't scold me but there's this look on her face. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home