Saturday, October 26, 2002

And because I was slowly dying at the house and getting headaches from reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in the word processor, I decided to drop by the Philippine's Toys and Collectibles Convention, which was located in the Megatrade Hall OFFICE. Yes, office. It's beside the Megatrade Hall and it's not exactly that spatious. But I've been there before so I wasn't misled unlike the other hapless attendees. And I was there two hours before closing time.

Well, there are a bunch of toys, model kits, and videos, not necessarily anime. And I guess the auction would have intrigued me if I was into those kind of stuff. The attendance was 1000+ and considering they were charging P20 each, that already covers two-thirds of the rent for that day.

Since it probably took me five minutes to browse through everything, I did was was left to me: small talk. Saw a couple of GLAY CDs and Jrock magazines (which featured Glay Glay Glay) at Anima Anime and Sherwin asked me about the happenings lately. Since I'm the last person to be talking about that, I asked him the going-ons in their lives. Apparently, they've been helping organize Culture Crash's upcoming Comics and Anime Convention on December in Megatrade Hall 2, which they describe as the equivalent of Comiket and will feature indies comics.

Of course that was Elbert's idea for the Comic Collective but we couldn't find sponsors. I guess someone else thought of it and they had the budget.

Anyway, Gregorio, Pol Medina Jr., and Arnold Arre will be showing up, to name a few Filipino artists who will be in the con. And Sherwin admitted to me that the "anime" in the title was more to draw in a crowd. It's really a con about comics in the Philippines. Which is a nice change of pacing.

And of course, there will be a cosplay. It's an open cosplay though, and I'm expecting some people to dress up as the Lord of the Rings cast since December is the debut of The Two Towers.

We then dropped by Sherwin's apartment and headed for Shangri-La. From there, it was a long walk home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home