Saturday, January 12, 2002

Before I end my posts for the week, there are three things I'd like to focus on: the past, the future, and the present.

I just visited a website I used to frequently visit. EX was an online anime magazine I loved. Unlike most webzines, they implemented a practical solution to browsing their mag: downloading it. This saved a lot of Internet time as their great articles were in your computer, freely read when you have the time instead of logging on to the Internet and downloading it repeatedly.

Of course the download gimmick would have never worked if it weren't for the quality of the content. While the reviews and features were good, what really shined were the columns which for me was the most informative. Charles McCarter and his staff would give their views on the anime industry while Scott Frazier would make me laugh and learn.

They also used to have a TV schedule of the latest anime shows in Japan. Another feature which I found very helpful was their regular update of Shonen Jump and Shonen Sunday. I'd know the latest stuff like Hunter x Hunter and Inu-Yasha even before they were adapted into animation or American comics. It's too bad they already changed the format and a lot of this has disappeared. And I can't blame them since I used to manage a fanzine myself, I know how the workload can be overbearing, especially when you can't exactly coerce your writers to write (since I don't pay them).

Regarding the future, a project I've been thinking up for quite some time is to set up a fantasy mailing list for Filipinos. I first thought of this before my sem break this year ended but I forgot to follow up on it. I'm looking for net-savvy people who are interested in the fantasy genre. Whether it's Tolkien, Rowling, Moorcock, Jordan, Brooks, or whoever else you can think of, I'm willing to moderate a mailing list. To anyone who's interested, email me!

As for the present, well, my BLOG is my main priority. I also want to set up a new website and perhaps incorporate my BLOG into that so if anyone has suggestions (along with a good and fast server, and a memorable domain name), tell me. In the meantime, you'll have to deal with my various rants and mutterings. As if someone actually reads this stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home