Friday, February 11, 2005

Rebirth

It's strange but when I worked for MTV Ink nearly four years ago, the magazine had just launched its first issue. Two weeks ago when I entered the publication, MTV Ink had just entered a new phase as it was undergoing revision for its new format. The latest issue just finished printing yesterday and you'll see the Jan/Feb 2005 issue on stalls soon. They've done away with the tabloid format and is now truly a magazine (plus more pages inside).

Same Work, Different Outlook

Of course when I signed on for the long haul, I knew that my job wouldn't be easy. I mean during my two-month stint at the company four years ago, I wasn't willing to go out of my comfort zone. I really didn't like calling up companies, nor was I really interested in organizing photo shoots. Logistics is a nightmare for me and it still is. I had no illusions of what kind of job would be handed to me. And that's what I precisely got. Yet strangely, it's not as difficult as I expected it to be. I attribute that to a change in outlook. Whereas four years ago I was thinking of doing things that I felt comfortable with, now I had a mentality of learning the most I can from the experience and not shying away from uncomfortable scenarios. And while there are still awkward moments, because of my paradigm shift, work isn't as difficult as I remember it to be.

Perfect Timing

Of course the past few weeks has been hectic, especially in light of what's happened in the company. Due to unforeseen circumstances, a number of employees weren't present, whether it was due to them resigning or them taking a temporary leave (whether due to medical reasons, uncontrollable circumstances, or for recuperation). Even technology wasn't on our side as one of the computers started breaking down (and contrary to popular belief, Macs do hang, albeit without the Blue Screen of Death).

Actually it was also good timing on the part of my employer since I got hired at precisely the same moment when the company was undermanned. Not to be daunted at the presented workload, I took it as a challenge and a learning experience. Honestly, a positive outlook does make things easier.

16 Floors Later

Unfortunately, ascending 16 floors with a heavy backpack strapped to your back hasn't been any easier. But what has changed is the fact that when I'm climbing those 200+ steps, I've developed the discipline to keep on going, to never give up, and to take it one step at a time. And whereas others might be daunted at the task, I can console myself with the fact that I've done it several times before (and in record time too). Perhaps that more than the actual development of my physique (it's not really working, by the way, but then again, it's been only two weeks) makes the 16 floor ascent worth it.

Celebrities Are Human Too

Honestly, I'm in the wrong industry. Working for a music magazine when I don't listen to music is just one of the many conundrums in my life. But then again, I take it as a challenge and provides me with excellent opportunities for growth.

Of course one of the perks in working in such a magazine is that you get to meet all these famous and talented musicians. But since I don't listen to music, the fandom is totally lost on me. They're like other people to me: talented yet with their own strengths and weaknesses. When I meet them, the geek inside of me remains leashed; there's no fear, no tension, no nervousness at being in the presence of such amazing people. But this can be an advantage too, since I treat them as regular human beings. There's no awkwardness, and I'm calm and able to talk to them.

Which just goes to show that deep down inside, we're more or less all alike. Celebrities are human too and they're just like us, with their own longings, likes, dislikes, and quirks.

On a side note, one of the photo shoots I had last Wednesday evening (one of many photo shoots this week which leaves me lacking in terms of sleep) was with Kiko Machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home