Saturday, August 30, 2003

Bookfair

Where do I begin?

First, entrance fee is P5.00, P4.00 if you have an ID.

Well, the usual suspects are there. Although it's surprising to see a new concessionaire, National Bookstore/Powerbooks.

And the SF&F section of Goodwill has dwindled to half a shelf, occupying only two and a half rows of space.

Apparently, the bookfair will be at Bacolod on October 9-12, then at Iloilo on 16-19.

Books to Note

Well, if you're looking for all those Middle-Earth drab, Fully Booked/Bibliarch is still the place to be with all those creation books. It's also the place to take a peek at the new covers of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

Book Wagon didn't change one bit from last year. Well, there's always The Hobbit...

And there's Harry Potter 5 everywhere. Although if I were you, I'd just go to the regular Powerbooks branch and go buy it now (since today is the last day of their sale I think) since there's a 20% discount.

On Powerbooks though, they seem to have thrown in most of their new stocks at the bookfair which hasn't arrived yet on their regular branches. For example, the hardcover of Jarka Ruus is already available there. Or...
...the paperback version of Coraline. It's both available at Powerbooks/National Bookstore and Fully Booked/Bibliarch. Except the former has a slightly cheaper retail price but the latter has a larger mark-down price (25% opposed to 20%). In the end, the former costs P190, the latter P180. Of course when it came to Wolves in the Wall, the former had it going for only P699. But it was on a 30% discount, costing about P500. Not bad for a hardcover children's illustration book. (And in comparison to its P1000+ price tag at comic shops everywhere else.)

Acquaintances

Ran into one of this year's graduates at Ateneo and she was working for Scholastica. (Oi, Kim, is she the one who had a crush on me?)

And I did visit Vin before going to the bookfair to hand him his SF anthology of short stories. And when I did come back to the shop to "report", Joel was there.

To top it off, while browsing through Powerbooks, I ran into Chinky (unfortunately, like the Atenean graduate I ran into at the bookfair, she wants something from me too).

Throughout this Whole Excursion

I've been keeping a pack of tissue and coughing frequently. Managed to exhaust my supply of tissue in one day and I'm still wasting from my sickness. Thankfully, it's not contagious.

It Ain't Over

Still had a game at Makati though so I took the time to educate Candy by letting her read Coraline and Wolves in the Wall. Then she took me to the Books for Less branch at Makati, where I managed to scavenge Terry Prachett's Thief of Time, book I (which contains the first three novels) of Michael Moorcock's Elric, and the icky but I promised a friend copy of Weis and Hickman's Rose of the Prophet book 2. There was free chocolate, but we all know what happens to me if I drank some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home