Sunday, April 27, 2003

Gone

I was actually indisposed for the past few days. Friday was the only time I spent the evening at home, while the following two days had me elsewhere from morning 'til the wee hours of the morning.

Blisters

Since I was left with one pair of working shoes (which happens to be my yellow rubber shoes) because my leather shoes lost its soles, I had to bring out my "new" shoes last Saturday. I mean "new" because although I bought it two years ago, I've only worn it once before and it's been inside my cabinet ever since.

What I dislike about new shoes is that you're feet aren't used to it (or vice versa) and it soon hurts. And since my life consists of walking several kilometers a day, well, my shoes would either be comfortable or my feet would be in a lot of pain. Unfortunately, it was the latter since my rubber shoes had to be washed (it's been raining for the past few days).

The fact that we went shop-hopping during the morning Comicol meeting didn't help, and neither did strolling around the Podium (although Elbert's mom and dad did bring us there with their car). Of course that was only half of my journey so far. Had to go all the way to Makati to meet up with brothers Justin and Jasper, and then we were headed to San Juan for our D&D game. Feet... hurt...

Don't Make the Same Mistake Twice

Which is why the first thing in the morning before I went to the con, I asked if the rubber shoes were dry (and clean!) already. Fortunately, they were, which mean my feet had time to recover from their blisters.

The Convention

The P150 hurts the wallet. If it was cheaper, I would have gone there Friday to root for Ria and Hazel in their dance competition.

There were actually few booths in the con (Level-Up games, Culture Crash, Smarty Toys, Corel, and the other subsidiaries/partners of Telesuccess). Which meant lots of empty spaces.

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's a good thing since you have room to maneuver in what frequently becomes a crowded place. It's bad because well, there's no variety. In less than five minutes, you've seen everything the convention has to offer.

There I was, looking at the various cosplayers (there were three to four sets of Final Fantasy cosplayers plus a big cast of Angel Sanctuary, a Gravitation group, some recycled and not-recycled costumes of Saiyuki, and the same people who've cosplayed Weiss Kreuz over the past few years), watching people fail and sometimes succeed at their free throws and slam dunks, and avoid the noise from the loud speakers.

Did see lots of old friends and even new faces, like Jaime who was there catching pictures of various cosplayers.

Me, The Eternal Extra

Well, that is the part I've been playing for the past few years, tagging along with the various cosplayers, helping them with their costumes, carry their bags, or just plain guarding them. This year was no different.

Accompanied Paul as he was waiting for the rest since they were going in as the Rurouni Kenshin cast. It's actually old costumes but this time, they're coming in as a group since during previous cons, only one or two of them would be in RK outfit. Of course the irony there was most of their characters had bladed weapons and there was a ban of such things so many were halted at the entrance and asked to deposit their weapons at the booth.

I guess the bane of all cosplayers is 1) a place to leave their bags and 2) a place to change. Since most anime conventions don't really provide for this, I still have a purpose in life as an extra tagging along. =)

Had to accompany Tanya to her car since her outfit consisted of assembling wings, claws, and other paraphernalia. The fact that she has clawed hands doesn't help either.

Meeting People

That day was a great opportunity to meet acquaintances. Kept on bugging (and spooking) Joan who was with her boyfriend, JM.

Finally saw Rin's boyfriend who bravely accompanied Rin to the con. And stayed there.

Paul: There's Erin. Doesn't that mean Steph isn't far away?

*Steph enters*

-next scene-

Me: Is Chanty coming?

Joan: I think she's coming later pa.

*Chanty enters*

Har har har

Well, the official news is that I don't have a crush anymore. Ever since two months ago actually. And I guess seeing my former crush is an opportunity to test that theory/attitude. I did try asking to take her picture, so the fact that she declined (as usual) helps.

Moving on...

The Winners

Well, mechapinoy dominated the diorama contest. It doesn't hurt that most (if not all) of the participants were mechapinoy members. First prize second prize and third prize goes to mechapinoy.

There was a Corel anime art contest which involved drawing on the computer using their program. Prizes were various programs and even a tablet (a small one, in case you're wondering Elbert). Of course not a lot would know that first prize went to Culture Crash's Taga-ilog since he used his real name and wasn't wearing a bucket.

Jojie made a new record by not just winning first place in the cosplay contest but by also winning another cosplay category: best props. As far as I know, she's the only cosplayer to twice in the same competition. Anyway, she was dressed up as that villain from Shaider (forgot her name). The one with a big head gear and initiates that eerie chant that's etched in every Filipino's childhood...

Best male went to Titus, best female to Lucifer from Angel Sanctuary (although she was cosplaying a male character... so revel in the paradox). Second and third prize went to characters from Final Fantasy Yuna and Lulu. Best group cosplay was Final Fantasy as well (with members winning the other individual cosplay competitions mentioned above) by reenacting the last scenes in Final Fantasy X (Yuna passing through Titus).

Dinner

Well, Sheila did treat us out to Don Henrico's since it was her birthday (actually, her birthday was last last week). I never thought I'd play the part of navigator to Pablo and company to get to the place. Ack. Street directions aren't exactly my best talents. One reason I don't drive is that the places I know how to go to, I can easily walk to or commute.

Stalker

*poof* And just like that, it's only after I finished eating the salad, the nachos, the pasta, the pizza, and the chicken that Sheila noticed I was there.

Sheila: Charles, ngayon ka lang? (did you arrive only now?).

Me: Errr...ask everyone else.

Sleep Over

Well, currently Mitz and Sheila are sleeping over at my house. Actually, they're getting dressed. Sheila is mulling over my bookshelf. Sheila's pretty. Her mom is fretting over the fact that she's sleeping at a guy's house. Even I was surprised. My mom didn't freak out. Lalalalala...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home