Wednesday, January 11, 2006

[Blog Entry] Random Encounters, The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth, Crossing Cities

Random Encounters


I'm really a person who thrives on random encounters. To be honest, I'm not someone who has close friends. So when I run into acquaintances, whether it's on the street, in a mall, or at work, I'm really thrilled.

Of course sometimes, life for me is simply full of random encounters. I run into various people all the time. Perhaps the secret to that is to go out of your way to meet people. Hang out in a mall; at Starbucks; at school.

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

I'm a geek. In grade school and high school, I've always been teased for that. Lately though, there's a big temptation to be condescending to non-geeks. That's because geeks ahead of their time. It's knowing Lord of the Rings before it was ever shown in theaters; having read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V is for Vendetta before it was adapted for the movies; knowing the world of Forgotten Realms before it was popularized by Baldur's Gate; having watched Triumph insult people at the Conan O'Brien show before people here have heard of Triumph; or simply listening to mp3s on your desktop way back before mp3 players existed.

Crossing Cities

I just noticed that everyday, when I walk home from work, I'm actually traveling through three cities. The Mega Mall area, for example, is Pasig. Once I reach Robinsons Galleria, I'm in Quezon City. Crossing EDSA to reach home, I'm in Mandaluyong. If I do take a visit to Shoppesville, I'm in San Juan, making it four! But you know, I'm really just walking a short distance. Relatively.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home