Monday, December 05, 2005

[Blog Entry] Disappearance

Disappearance


Just as most people are about to disappear (the holidays are coming, after all), I’m about to make my re-appearance. So why the lack of blog entries for the past two months?

Contrary to what you might think, my youth wasn’t filled with reading and writing. The only time I actually finished reading a novel was during grade seven, when I hit thirteen. Admittedly, I caught the film-to-novel bug. That is, you read a book because it’s being made into a movie. In my case, the book was Jurassic Park, as I was always fascinated by dinosaurs.

That digression has purpose. For the past two months, I got to remember why I didn’t read a lot or write a lot. I was obsessed with something else: video games. So yes, blame video games. I wouldn’t call it a brain drain, but rather a shift in perspective. All my energy is focused on being good at the one video game I play.

Having said that, I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I haven’t read a book in the past two months. I just didn’t finish reading them from beginning to end. As for the chore of writing, well, my blog is proof of my lack of progress. It’s as if I woke up one day a different person, and I can’t imagine myself consuming ten books a month (I haven’t been able to meet my quota of five books as month).

As for the game in mention that has caused my addiction, it’s a custom map for Warcraft 3. It’s called Defenders of the Ancients: All Stars, a very popular custom map (with lots of versions). And if you thought the Marvel vs Capcom fighting games had lots of characters, this one has a whopping 72! (And still more to come in newer versions.) Suffice to say, it’s been fun even if it’s eating a lot of sleeping hours (I come home at 3 or 4 am in the morning, and have to wake up in time for my 9 am – 6 pm job).

Right now I’m slowly shifting gears to attune myself to meet my writing deadlines, as Vin’s Dragon Anthology is right around the corner, in addition to Fully Booked’s writing contest. And Internet at home finally got fixed last week (I can finally visit all the websites I go to), and the speed boost (PLDT’s new promo) is a godsend as well.

So here’s to more writing, and re-surfacing to the blogosphere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home