Sunday, September 11, 2005

[Blog Entry] Work Schedule, Professional Stalker

Work Schedule

From time to time, it’s good to look back at the week, and instead of complaining at how things didn’t go away, just appreciate what you’ve managed to accomplish.

When I recall what my work schedule for this week was, I was just surprised at how active I was.

Monday: Photo Shoot at Gateway Mall.
Wednesday: Photo Shoot at Cibo.
Thursday: Photo Shoot at Cibo, Pepato, and Café Bola.
Friday: Photo Shoot at Mandarin Oriental.
Saturday: Photo Shoot at Netopia.

That’s a lot of photo shoots, even for me.

Professional Stalker

When people ask me what my job is, they’re baffled, especially when I mention The Philippines Yearbook. Unlike Pulp which has become part of Philippine pop culture consciousness, The Philippines Yearbook is honestly something known only by the elite, by the sophisticated, and even then, only half the time unless they’re involved in tourism.

So what exactly is it I do as editorial assistant, aside from arranging photo shoots? Well, to put it bluntly, I stalk people. As much as I joke around that I’m a stalker, it seems that my job involves me doing some detective work.

A typical day involves my boss mentioning the names of some people he wants to include in the publication. I get a name, and hopefully, a profession in which they’re known for. Thankfully, the people that will be featured in next year’s edition are, for the most part, well known, although there are definitely some obscure ones. My job is to track them down and send them an invitation to be part of our publication.

But since I’m new at this, I don’t exactly have a phone book full of names and contact numbers. I had to do it the old fashioned way, getting one contact number at a time, and following a lead until it finally brings me to the person I want to talk to. In some cases, there’s a lot of intermediaries, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. At other times, after a phone call or two, I immediately get in touch with the person I’m looking for.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg though, and that’s definitely not the part which makes my day stressful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

so which part makes you stressful? and on the other end, which part 'fulfills' you? :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Talking to people makes me stressful. =)

Finishing something--anything--fulfills me.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home