Thursday, May 26, 2005

[Blog Entry] Because Elbert Insists

Because Elbert Insists

Total number of films I own on DVD/video: 1. Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition. Plus all the anime that's lying around the house. And whatever DVDs I haven’t returned to Elbert.

The last film I bought: Considering I only own one DVD…

Films that I watch or mean a lot to me:

Hero Hey, it just has the right amount of depth and right amount of action. It also departs from Western sensibilities.

The Princess Bride Still the best fantasy-comedy film in my book, even more than Robin Hood: Men in Tights (and The Princess Bride for me is the proto-Men in Tights film… it’s honestly a must watch for those who loved Men in Tights).

Lord of the Rings Despite me being more or less anti-Tolkien when it comes to the books, the movie is just great. A book to film adaptation done right. Best live-action fantasy film, period.

Mononoke Hime Although I honestly find a good number of Studio Ghilbi films boring, Mononoke Hime was not one of them. Much like Hero, it has the right amount of action and depth. Characters in the film both have good and bad traits, and features the constant interplay of the forces of nature and modernization without favoring one over the other.

The Thomas Crown Affair The 1968 version, not the remake with Pierce Brosnan. There’s something admirable about a crafty, intellectual anti-hero.

American Beauty What can I say? Superb acting, great characterization, and an interesting mix of relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home