Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Wishlist Meme

STEP ONE

-Make a post (public, friends-locked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Harry icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.

- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.

- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ or link to this post so that the holiday joy will spread. (I copied them almost word for word coz I'm a lazy person. ;p)

STEP TWO

- Surf around your friends list (or friends' friends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:

- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--do it.

You need not spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.

There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.

My Wishlist

1) Trust. Well, I don't expect to gain the trust of strangers (although that would be nice as well). But it's really strange when your "friends" don't trust you. And mind you, I'm the person that bears gifts rather than the type that's "in need". So contrary to their experience, I'm still not a person that my friends trust, or heed advice from (although I'm usually someone they go to when they need money...). So some trust this Christmas would be nice. I don't even have to know about it.

2) A franchise. I'll take a successful franchise like Jollibee or McDonalds any day over something like Starbucks. A franchise makes money. If I were given the cash equivalent of the franchise, I'd probably invest it in the franchise anyway. And the franchise will sustain me for the rest of my years (hopefully).

3) Meet my online (whether Blogger or LJ) friends. Hey, whether it's because I haven't met you yet in real life or simply because it's been a long time since we last saw each other, reunions for me are always great. I want to keep my friends close. Apathy is what destroys relationships.

4) Grant at least one of the wishes of each of my friends. Although I'm suspecting one of the wishes everyone made can be solved financially (i.e. it costs money to make it come true), so if anyone would donate to me $1,000,000.00 on the condition that I can't spend any of that amount on myself, I'd gladly be fulfilling the wishes of everyone else. Or hey, if you really want to grant this wish of mine, you can sort through my list of friends and anonymously (or c/o Charles) fulfill their wishes.

5) Labor-intensive jobs for the poor. As long as we live in a capitalist society (which isn't a bad thing), there will always be poor people. Having said that, the standard of living for the poor doesn't necessarily have to be low. I mean poor could mean three meals a day and shelter. And of course, one of the ways to do that is to give people employment opportunities. I don't believe in dole outs. If I had $1,000,000.00 to spend to help the poor, I'd only be helping them once if I just donated it to them, and chances are, not only will the $1,000,000.00 not be enough but the poor people will become poor again in a matter of time. Giving them jobs, on the other hand, gives them a steady income so that they won't be poor for long (or if they are, they have better standards of living). And let's face it, one of the strongest suit of our country is the fact that we have lots of people. That's why I love call centers: it's labor-intensive. And labor-intensive means employment opportunities for a sizable amount of Filipinos.

6) Meet new friends (whether in real life or on LJ or Blogger). Hey, perhaps the only thing that you can never have too much of is friends.

7) Mentor(s). I'm always keen on learning. Anything people can teach me would be worth more than money (although money doesn't hurt either).

8) Money. Non-taxable cash. Credit card not accepted. Dollars or Philippine pesos only please.

9) Time. Other people's time to be precise. Well, if you're from the Philippines, I'm just asking two hours of your time on either Tuesday or Thursday evenings. It's just a two-hour meeting (or barring that, a four-hour meeting next next next Saturday). I'm here to help you. To me it's like the gospel: I have to spread it. What you do with it is up to you. But, uh, at least take the time to see what I'm offering you.

10) Smile. I love seeing other people smile. It's a sign that they're happy. People always ask me what I want in return for giving them gifts. I reply that I want to see them smile. And I'm serious. I want to make other people happy.

You can email me at either charles[at]mindgate.net or charlesatan at yahoo or gmail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home