Monday, September 20, 2004

I Was Introduced to Fear on my 22nd Birthday

Even in college, I was never one to belittle call center agents. I mean for one thing, it's a labor-intensive occupation, and that's just what the country needs to boost its economy. When other people asked "where's the growth in such a job?", I always thought that it was a demanding job that required a lot. And you know what? I was right.

Call center agents should be able to master a lot of skills, from leadership, multitasking, empathy, and of course, delivering what they're supposed to. Jesuit schooling taught me to be a person of service or a person for others. That's what a call center job entails. It also means striving to be a better person than you are now. And of course, sacrifice is required as well.

I just had my first "real work" day, which entails me taking in actual calls. And you know what, it frightens me. There's the inadequacy I feel at being unable to perform what I'm supposed to do. I made mistakes, lots of them. I'm not only accountable to myself but to other people as well. I know I'll eventually get better at it, but will it be enough? In the end, it's not me who's going to pay the price for my shortcomings.

I can't help but feel thoughts about finding a new job, one that entails less responsibility and tension. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up. But call center jobs can get really scary. It's definitely not for everyone, and it asks a lot from people. Where's the growth in a call center job? A lot. The experience alone is well worth it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Uy! Happy Birthday~! :D

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home