Thursday, July 18, 2002

I like black. It's one of my favorite colors. I just didn't realize how much so until I saw my crush, wearing a black dress, pass by.

I had just finished one of my classes when I found out it was raining outside. After strolling around, my eyes wandered until it settled on a girl carrying a blue umbrella and in a dark outfit.

One of the highlights of today's hisory class was the fact that bagoong and patis were made out of rotten fish and shrimp. When Ambeth Ocampo came into the factory, he saw a pile of spoiled fish and other assorted creatures. Flies were swarming about and below it were two faucets. One released a yellow liquid, which was the patis. The other released the entrails of the fish, which was the bagoong. Yum.

There's also the story of the real reason why we have wakes during a funeral. In pre-colonial Philippines, it was believed that aswangs ate up certain corposes before they were buried so it was important for people to stay awake the entire time in a lighted room until the body was finally buried.

There was also the anecdote why there are signs on some churches and statues that say "Bawal umihi/tumae dito" (It is illegal to piss/shit here). It's because the Christian God is a kind one in contrast to the kapres and duwendes when you start messing up their homes.

I also accompanied Elbert and pseudo-girlfriend Jamie to the UP Bookfair. It was too bad Elbert got the last copy of The Princess Bride. I borrowed it from him though. And I was shocked to find out that a lot of people haven't seen the movie. A pity. If some liked Robin Hood: Men in Tights, they would have greatly enjoyed The Princess Bride.

Of course a few dozen pages reading the thing, I still didn't get into the beginning yet as the abridger was telling all these tales of how the book (and movie) came about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home